Friday, November 16, 2007

Who am I?

So either I don't have any "self," or else I have a multitude of "selves" appropriated by them, for them, according to their needs or desires.
- Luce Irigaray, "The Looking Glass, from the Other Side"

I use a lot of different names on the internet. I expect most people do. I wonder if they all mean something? Or if any lack of meaning they all have may have some (meta-)meaning to it. Looking at my own names, I know the stories behind them and what I use them for and discern the individual personality traits of the members of this family of names that make-up my internet existence.

Let's begin with what could be considered the head of the family. The name that I use as often as possible and is the oldest that is of any significance. Shen-an-doah. Taken from a Pitchshifter song (the only variation with hyphens), it apparently has several different meanings. Often shortened to "Shen". This is the name that can be added to all the others, my "family" name (literally in some cases, such as Shen Fayray or Shen Alice (Shen is a Chinese name, so it goes first)).

Then came Doll. Originally a character created out of whimsy and a desire to "fuck with people" and see their reactions. An eternally 16 year-old girl, unsure of her sexuality. The reveal spawned Susan Dalle, who has a more concrete existence. Doll is no longer a name for me, but is used to describe an unnamed object of my affection.

Bruitist is an anomaly. Taken from a Refused song, it's a back-up name. Disconnected and without any real usage or derivatives like the others. I'm still the top result on Google though.

Finally, there's Alice. The latest and my current favourite. Given to me by my friend Kienan as "It's a female name that happens to fit you, I'm not really sure why. It's better than Susan, I know that." As with all names, it is subject to changes and derivatives such as Allison or Shen Alice/Shenalice. It has currently taken over from Shen, which may change or it may not...

That's it for now. Maybe I'll make a proper family tree one day and include all the names that have fallen by the wayside (Jerusalem, Clockwork man, and many more than have been transient and possibly forgotten) and all the derivatives of my common names. I could even include non-internet names, as some of these have crossed over and been used in place of my given name in certain situations.

The implied and the actual gender of these names is a subject for a later date.

Alice in popular culture sighting no. 2: In this month's issue of "Marvel comics presents", the story about Hellcat ("The Girl Who Could Be You") features Patsy Walker referring to one of the personalities that has split from her as "Alice in Wonderland". Presumably referring to the fact that she is wearing a blue dress and hairband similar in style to Alice's. Also possibly due to this being the polite and "proper" side of Patsy.

Alice in popular culture sighting no. 3: Today's Diesel Sweeties strip has Indie Rock Pete mentioning "Alice's looking glass" as an example of a strange alternate reality.

-Alice